Volunteer and Scholarship Opportunities
Exciting Volunteer Opportunities in Canton
Meaningful volunteer work is a rewarding experience. Volunteering allows you to develop new skills and make new friends. Many organizations serve the Canton community and welcome volunteers to assist with their programs and activities. If you are looking for fun and fulfilling volunteer opportunities in the Canton community, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator via email or call 734/394-5191.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Volunteer Applications
- Youth Basketball
- Brew, Brats, and Bands
- CLS Volunteer Opportunities
- VOLUNTEER TRAINING
- Other Community Service Opportunities
Click the appropriate Volunteer Application below. If you have any questions, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator via email or call 734/394-5360.
If you would like the form made available to you in an alternative format (email, large print, audible, braille, or other), please contact the Recreation Supervisor at 734/394-5460 or by email Opens a New Window. .
Brew, Brats, and Bands at the Barn
Event Date: Saturday, September 10, 2022
Shift Time: 5 p.m. – 10 p.m.
Location: Preservation Park, 500 N. Ridge Road, Canton, MI 48188
Brief Description of Event:
Craft beer tasting event for the 21 and over crowd at Preservation Park. Proceeds from the event will support the Canton Historical Society.
Type of tasks volunteers will be asked to do:
- Pour samples of craft beer
- Assist distributors
- Work in the kitchen, serving brats
- Help with clean-up
Attire/Special Instructions: Volunteers must be 21 years of age or older. Casual attire and comfortable shoes are a must.
Contact Person: Heather VanHartesveldt
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
On-Site Contact Person: Gregg King
Leisure Services Volunteer Opportunities
- Canton Club 55+
- Local Non-Profit Agencies
- Meals on Wheels
- Pheasant Run Golf Club: Ages 18+
- Village Theater Volunteer Usher: Ages 18+
Summer (June - September)
- Farmers Market
- Liberty Fest: Rotary Club Beverage Tent
- Liberty Fest: Canton Lions Pancake Breakfast
- Liberty Fest: Information Booth Greeter
- Liberty Fest: 5K/10K Run and Walk
- Thursday Night LIVE Concert Series
- Rally on Ridge
- Conquer the Park
- Family Field Day
- Historical Society - Brews, Brats and Bands at the Barn
Fall (October - December)
- Canton Goodfellows Gift Sorting
- Canton Goodfellows Food Collection
- Trick or Treat Trail
- Turkey Trot
- Tree Lighting
- Breakfast with Santa
Winter (January - February)
- Butterfly Ball Daddy-Daughter Dance
- American Doll Spa Day
Spring (March - May)
- Easter Bunny Breakfast
- Easter Eggstravaganza
- Mom To Mom Sale
- Mother-Son Dance
- Farmers Market
- Indoor Triathlon
- Youth Basketball League
- Rookie Baseball Program
- Senior Summit
Volunteer Date: TBA
Place: Canton Administration Building
1150 S. Canton Center Road
Canton, MI 48188
Brief Description of Event: All Canton volunteers are requested to attend at least one volunteer training per year. Staff will discuss Canton Leisure Services policies and procedures, event information, customer service expectations, and emergency information.
Volunteers should attend, if they have not come to a prior training session and would like to volunteers for the following events:
- Butterfly Ball – February
- Parent to Parent Sale Setup and Event – May
- Easter Bunny Breakfast - March/April
- Easter/Spring Eggstravaganza - March/April
- Liberty Fest - June
- Trick or Treat Parade – October
- Turkey Trot – November
- Breakfast with Santa – December
- Tree Lighting – December
- Canton Goodfellows Food Drive – November
- Canton Goodfellows Gift Collection & Sorting Project – December
- TEFAP – Ongoing opportunity
Registration required: To register or for additional information. To volunteer contact: Heather at 734/394-5191 or by email.
Community Service Opportunities
The following organizations serve the Canton Community and welcome volunteers to assist with their programs and activities. Also included are services available for seniors. Call Canton Community Volunteer Events Coordinator for additional information, 734/394-5191.
- Canton Historical Museum: 734/765-6704
- Canton Commission for Culture, Arts, & Heritage: 734/394-5362
- Plymouth Symphony: 734/451-2112
- Village Theater at Cherry Hill: 734/394-5191
- Capuchin Soup Kitchen: 313/579-2100
- Gleaners: 313/923-3535
- Harvest Loves Food Pantry: 734/895-3280 ext. 3
- Open Door Food Ministry: 734/397-1777 ext. 201
Human Service Agencies/Organizations
- American Cancer Society: 248/663-3489
- American Red Cross: 313/494-2862
- Angela Hospice: 734/464-7810
- Beaumont Hospital Wayne: 734/467-4183
- Canton Goodfellows: 734/394-5191
- Canton Community Foundation: 734/495-1200
- Compassionate Care Hospice: 734/983-9050
- First Step: 734/416-1111
- FISH of Plymouth-Canton:734/480-3940
- Growth Works: 734/495-3074
- Habitat for Humanity: 734/459-7744
- Michigan Humane Society: 734/721-7300 ext. 6
- Muscular Dystrophy Association: 734/416-7076
- Passages Hospice: 734/744-5091
- PBJ Outreach: PBJ
- Plymouth-Canton Clothing Bank: 734/416-6179
- Plymouth-Canton Optimist Club: 734/502-5776
- Salvation Army: 734/453-5464
- Special Olympics: 734/721-0418
- St. Joseph Mercy Health Service: 734/712-4159
- United Home Health Service: 734/981-8820
- United Way Community Services: 313/563-3900
- United Way Plymouth: 734/453-6879
- Veterans Administration: 1-800/827-1000
- Wayne County Family Center: 734/721-0590
- Canton Public Library: 734/397-0999
- Plymouth District Library: 734/453-0750
- Alzheimer's Association: 734/369-2716
- Canton Place: 734/981-6420
- Canton Club 55+: 734/394-5485
- Meals on Wheels: 734/394-5191
- MI Office of Service to the Aging: 517/373-8230
- Senior Alliance: 734/722-2830
- Waltonwood Carriage Park: 734/844-3060
- Waltonwood Cherry Hill: 734/981-7100
- Business & Professional Women: 313/729-6744
- Civitans: 734/981-7259
- Kiwanis Club: 734/812-3153
- Lions Club: 734/945-5137
- Plymouth Canton Jaycees: 734/453-8407
- Rotary Club of Canton: 734/986-1436
- Community Literacy Council: 734/589-0011
- Plymouth-Canton Community Schools: 734/416-2700
Youth and Recreation
- Boy Scouts of America: 313/897-1965
- Girl Scouts: 1-800/482-6734
- Canton Leisure Services: 734/394-5191
Applications & Information
- Organizations Looking for Volunteers (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Volunteer Application for Adults (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- Volunteer Application for Youth (PDF) Opens a New Window.
- If you would like the form made available to you in an alternative format (email, large print, audible, braille, or other), please contact the Recreation Supervisor at 734/394-5460 or by email Opens a New Window. .
Canton Township volunteers are required to attend training a minimum of one time per year. The training provides volunteers with information about upcoming events, customer service, and emergency preparedness. All registered volunteers will be emailed of upcoming volunteer training dates.
Meals on Wheels and Pheasant Run Golf Club Volunteers
For positions requiring driving, volunteers' driving records will be verified as part of their Volunteer Application. For additional information, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator via email or call 734/394-5191.
When financial circumstances create a barrier to participation, Canton residents may be eligible to apply for a Canton Leisure Services Scholarship, which can be applied towards Leisure Services classes and programs. Recipients may receive up to $500 per individual in a calendar year.
Please note that children currently in foster care and residing in Canton are also eligible for up to $500 in financial support in a calendar year. Formal documentation will need to be provided.
- Canton Leisure Services Scholarship Information and Application (PDF) Opens in New Window
- If you would like the form made available to you in an alternative format (email, large print, audible, braille, or other), please contact the Recreation Supervisor at 734/394-5460 or by email Opens in New Window .
In addition to Volunteer positions, Canton Township has a variety of full-time, part-time and seasonal positions available. For more information on current employment opportunities, please visit the Human Resources page.