Water and Sewer Rates
Canton's Water is Safe
Due to recent reports on surrounding communities, a lot of attention has been focused on the importance of water safety. Canton would like to assure all residents and business owners that we take the safety of our water supply system very seriously.
Canton’s water is currently tested for lead and copper every year, and the last was done in August 2019. The action level for lead is 15 part per billion (ppb), while the action level for copper is 1300 parts per billion (ppb). By rule, if more the 10% of sites tested exceed action levels, action must be taken.
Canton tested 30 different sites and all were well below the action level. The highest level of lead detected was .0071 ppb and the highest copper level was 46 ppb. Please note, while it is not uncommon for many older communities to use lead piping for water services, Canton’s infrastructure does not contain any lead services.
Each year, Canton issues a Consumer Confidence Report (CCR) that gives a detailed analysis about where Canton’s water comes from and the treatment process it goes through. It also gives consumers detailed information about the quality of their drinking water. The 2018 report, as well as all reports dating back to 2003, can be found at the bottom of this page.
The 2019 Consumer Confidence Report will be posted to the Canton website in June, 2020. If you have any questions, please call Canton’s Division of Public Works at 734/397-1011.
BI-MONTHLY BILLING - BEGINS MAY 1, 2019
If your six (6) digit account number begins with the following:
- One (1) or a Three (3), you are billed the first business day of "odd" months and due the last Wednesday of the same month.
- Zero (0) or Two (2), you are billed the first business day of "even" months and due the last Wednesday of the same month.
To learn your water billing cycle, click on the new interactive Water Billing Cycle Map Opens a New Window.
Water and Sewer Rates Effective May 1, 2019:
- $6.23 per 1,000 gallons: water consumption rate
- $5.28 per 1,000 gallons: sewage disposal rate
- $11.51 per 1,000 gallons of water used (combined rate)
- Water: $8.24
- Sewer with sump $6.04
- Sewer without sump $14.90
"eUtilities" is a new site to view the following features:
- Account Summary
- View Bills
- Water and Sewer Consumption Analysis
- Account History
- Link to pay your water bill that will re-route you to our website
- Sign-up and register! Opens a New Window.
Odd / Even Voluntary Outdoor Water Restrictions
To help reduce future water rate increases, Canton is asking all customers to comply with our odd / even voluntary outdoor water restrictions. By following these voluntary restrictions, we can cooperatively help reduce water use during peak demand periods and help reduce future rate increases. The restrictions are as follows:
- If your address ends in an odd number, irrigation should only be done on odd numbered days.
- If you have an even numbered address, irrigation should be done on even numbered days.
- Canton residents should irrigate between the hours of midnight and 6 am.
Delinquent Water Accounts
Customer's who fail to pay, or make arrangements for a payment plan within 7 - 10 calendar days following the due date of their water bill, will be notified in writing. A short extension period will be indicated on the notice; failure to pay following the delinquent notice, will result in termination of service.
- If water service isn't available for more than 24 hours, the house cannot be occupied in accordance to Township Ordinance 78-165.
- Water will not be shut off during the months of December 1 through March 31.
- Water will not be shut off over a weekend, or over a holiday.
- Payments must be paid in full with guaranteed funds (money order, cash, credit cards) before the water will be turned on.
- A charge of $70 for the involuntary disconnection will be added to the account. A re-connection charge of $45 will be added to the account.
- 48 hours in advance
- $20 service fee
- Call 734/394-5240 to schedule
Water Quality Reports
For more information on Canton's water and sewer charges, please call Water Billing at 734/394-5240.